Thursday, June 13, 2013

Half Bath

Downstairs, just off the laundry room, we have a half bath.  Toilet.  Sink.  And wallpaper.  (Notice the warnings on the plumbing fixtures that they had been winterized - one of the fun things about looking at a foreclosure.)


The room is pretty small and cramped.  The wallpaper came off pretty easily.  As did the toilet and the vanity.  I decided to replace the vanity with a pedestal sink to open the room up some.  The mirror was up in the kids' bath - I painted the frame and hung it up in here.  You can't see it in the picture, but I also put in a pendent light as an added detail.


The toilet was easy, or at least so I remembered until it became the first repair of my own renovations.  I was in the crawlspace one day and noticed some water under the bathroom.  I immediately went to investigate and saw that the toilet had been leaking.  Awesome.  Wax seal baby.  I took the toilet off and discovered the problem.  When we tiled the kitchen/laundry room/bathroom I had to add an extension to the flange so the seal would fit.  But I had forgot to secure it, so water was slipping out when the toilet flushed.  I got the drill and some screws out to remedy the situation.  And here's the snag.  I soon found out why there was a missing drill bit in my drill bit case.  The builder had put a cast iron flange here.  The only place in the entire house, on top of PVC pipe.  Who does that?  Now, with two dulled drill bits, I had to find a new answer.  I ended up removing some other screws and putting them through the whole thing.  Some plumber's putty and a new wax seal later, and the toilet is fixed.  Another lesson in do it right the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment